Monday, July 18, 2011

-Math Journals-

So.....with all this "math talk" floating around in the blog world and the fact that I've attended two math conferences this summer, I'm feeling rather mathematical! It has had me thinking about next year's journals and what I'm going to do differently. I thought I would share with you what I've done in the past.  I just love the marble composition books and always stock up on them. (Walmart has them right now for .40!) Print off a cute little label and you've got yourself a journal. 
Inside, I had a parent draw lines and students recorded the number, number word, tally marks, and drew an illustration. See the finished product below! (please note: we did 0-30 over the course of a school year)
I may step it up a bit and add definitions and other items in my journals this year - try to incorporate more writing. I'll use some of the pages from my students' math workbooks. We just adopted a new math series! Can I get a Hallelujah? I would hope it would look a little something like this...
You can have the composition books cut in half at office supply stores or hardware stores. 


These are samples taken from a 1st grade journal. I figured if I started implementing things like this in my class, my kinders would be on top of their game when they moved on into 1st.  What are your thoughts or suggestions?  I'd love to hear them. ~Miss E

No comments:

Post a Comment